And this is the famous response of Beauregard Bryan: 
Meanwhile the denizens of Galveston continue to suffer from a collective depressive disorder I view as a variant of Complicated Bereavement. I was recently interviewed by Islander Magazine, and my interview appears in this month’s issue. It’s flattering that my opinion is held is such esteem, but it is discouraging to see that this peculiar community malaise, like our economy, remains in an unrelenting funk.
Ah, but this does not mean we Galvestonians aren’t adept at trying to make the best of the situation. At the Barnhart household, twenty plus enjoyed Thanksgiving sans heat, and fifty of our neighbors will enjoy a similar experience at the Xmas party we are holding tonight.
Dickens on the Strand came off this year in spite of Ike, albeit smaller in scope. Similarly Galveston Bike Week, postponed but not cancelled is happening right now. It’s been as cold as a witch’s mammary appendage, but those tough bikers seem to be coming anyway. I suspect this year’s rally won’t match up to years past, but those in attendance that I’ve met seem determined to have a good time and cheer on this annual event.

Meanwhile the denizens of Galveston continue to suffer from a collective depressive disorder I view as a variant of Complicated Bereavement. I was recently interviewed by Islander Magazine, and my interview appears in this month’s issue. It’s flattering that my opinion is held is such esteem, but it is discouraging to see that this peculiar community malaise, like our economy, remains in an unrelenting funk.
Ah, but this does not mean we Galvestonians aren’t adept at trying to make the best of the situation. At the Barnhart household, twenty plus enjoyed Thanksgiving sans heat, and fifty of our neighbors will enjoy a similar experience at the Xmas party we are holding tonight.
Dickens on the Strand came off this year in spite of Ike, albeit smaller in scope. Similarly Galveston Bike Week, postponed but not cancelled is happening right now. It’s been as cold as a witch’s mammary appendage, but those tough bikers seem to be coming anyway. I suspect this year’s rally won’t match up to years past, but those in attendance that I’ve met seem determined to have a good time and cheer on this annual event.
At the end of this week, Kathy and I set off for the mountains and a respite from Ike's aftermath. We leave our keys with our contractor and hope to see ductwork, A/C, heat and new wiring in the near future. The distraction of grandchildren on Christmas morning and fresh powder on the slopes should add to our cheer. We will miss our island friends, but our mountain home beckons and the break will do us good.
Cheers...
No comments:
Post a Comment