Monday, October 6, 2008

Finally a go-ahead

September 23, 2008

The mayor has said we can return tomorrow. We're probably going to get in line on the Gulf Freeway about 5 am. Hopefully they've got enough ID check lanes to get traffic moving well. I figure we'll spend the daylight hours cleaning up stuff. We're going to spend tomorrow night back on the mainland, then bring back the other car and probably stay on the island thereafter. I just want to be sure we have a toilet that works.

Here's something to piss you off: I tried to buy a gasoline generator on our trek back to Galveston. First stop - Santa Fe, New Mexico. All generators had been purchases en masse by a couple of 'entrepreneurs' who were planning to take them to Galveston and sell them for a profit. Same story in Amarillo. Fortunately, the morning we were leaving Amarillo, I got to Harbor Freight just as a truck was unloading eight generators. I bought the first one. The folks there said the others would all be bought up by some guys who always did this when there was a disaster somewhere. Seems they were also interested in turning a profit over other's misery. Nice.

No comments: