All we can get is sketchy, second-hand info. Virtually everyone on the island got some level of flooding. (This appears to have been the worst storm in Galveston in 100 years.) My 85 year old house has never seen water in it. From what I can gather, I got somewhere between a few and 18 inches in the house. I have a four car garage that is about five feet below my house. Thus my cute little Mercedes, a couple of my motorcycles and a lot of power tools are toast. Ditto for my exercise room. I'm figuring all that stuff got about 4 -6 feet of water.
We have one friend who has fish in his living room and a big sailboat rammed through the side of his house. Guess that makes me one of the lucky ones.
I picked up a generator in Amarillo and am now in Fort Worth, where I suspect we'll be for a couple of days. After that we're heading to a friend's house near Houston. She has electricity and water. We'll stay there until they open up the causeway and we can get in a further assess things.
I spoke to the command center at the medical school last night. They are looking for physicians who live on the island to relieve their staff who have been on duty since the storm. I may get back on the island a bit earlier as I've volunteered to go in and help them out.
Ah, such an adventure. Thank goodness it's only stuff....
No comments:
Post a Comment