Thursday, October 16, 2008

Tough times for small business


October 16

City officials say about one-third of those who lived in Galveston lost their homes to Hurricane Ike. A lot of those were the beachfront houses on the west end, beyond the seawall. Those like us behind the seawall, fared better, but I'd still estimate about 80% of all the homes behind the seawall were significantly damaged. We've had adjusters from all the insurance companies here, although only the Windstorm insurance has actually paid a dime.

Today they finished a six-day project of tearing out all the molding old ductwork under the house. With that done, they can now begin to tear out the wiring. Meanwhile, along the seawall they are beginning to create piles of what can best be described as small boulders. These are the riprap that Hurricane Ike actually pushed over the seawall and onto the boulevard.

Trucks and front-loaders are still working seven days a week to pick up the never-ending piles of rubble that were once the contents of homes and small businesses. But there's a rumor spreading around town that Galveston was short on the money to pay these guys, many of whom have brought in equipment from out of state. There are fears that the reason some much unsightly debris remains on our main street, Broadway, is because a large portion of the crews left in anger when their checks were smaller than expected. Just what we need, further finanicial problems in the midst of a critical cleanup.

Today I went to buy a new tire for Kathy's bicycle. I swung into Academy Sports because it was handy. Once in a parking spot with motor shut off, I hesitated, then started up and drove off. About a mile away, I pulled in front of West End Cycles, a bicycle shop that's been in Galveston since the late forties. Kathy bought me my wedding present there in 1971 -- a ten-speed Raleigh Super Course with Weinmann center-pull brakes and a leather Brooks seat. That was top of the line at the time. I guess it says something about our relationship that such was my wedding present.

When I went inside, there were the two old guys who have worked there since that time thirty five years ago. What was absent was the inventory. They had two new cruiser bikes on the floor. Just two. They told me all the rest of their bikes were looted the night of the hurricane when their windows were blown out and somebody waded in and took their bikes. They are making do by repairing and tuning up the bicycles of a few loyal customers.

We chatted about how tough it's going to be for small businesses to come back. Then I paid $17 for a tire I could have gotten for $12 at Academy and $9 at WalMart. Man, that felt good.

No comments: