Monday, October 6, 2008

Home at last


September 26, 2008


It was a solemn time, driving onto the island. With debris and boats all along the roadside, we were psychologicallly unprepared for what we were seeing. Coming off the causeway - a firetruck parked aside the road with a crude sign handpainted on a 4x8 piece of plywood saying, "Welcome Home from the GFD".

And so we arrive to view the damage. Worse than some, better than most.


I had to find ice today as we have no electricity (or natural gas, or phone lines, or drinkable water). Driving around the island, there was no ice to buy. There was, however, ice to have. All one had to do was go to one of the crisis centers and ask. That's right - ask. Ask for help. Ask for ice. Ask for food. Ask. I'd never done that before. Have you? Imagine the smiling faces of National Guardmen as they toss generic boxes of soap, ready-to-eat meals and ice into your vehicle. They don't ask what you need or why. They don't question your motivation. They only tell you, "We'll be here tomorrow if you need anything." If you can accept this charity and not cry, you are far tougher than I.

Tonight will be our first night in the house. We have no television, so Kathy and I decided to cruise town looking for a bar with a TV so we could watch Obama and McCain kick each other for the first time. Then we remembered: 8 pm curfew. I felt like our grandparents, sitting around a radio and listening, listening. It was interesting hearing content without body language.

No comments: